Friday 30 September 2022

Common Insecurity in a Lady's Life

 Long time, no post. I know. Let's say that life has been highly entertaining in a weird way.

A few years ago, I was abandoned (with other passengers) in a remote station by the train company: the last train never came and the emergency contact we managed to reach didn't give a fig about us.

Fast forward to this week, same station. This time, the train is "only" late (half an hour late), but it will reach the station. What was the issue, then? Well, two country coppers were there because a man who wanted to leave at the prior stop fell asleep and was less than a gentleman with the lady conductor and the coppers were called to have a chat with him and - apparently - make sure he boarded the next train to reach his stop.

The cousin who drives me to the station usually stays with me so we can chat until my train arrives (and he doesn't want to tell me that he's just making sure that I'll board the train safely as that station is lost in the middle of fields and it's not entirely safe). This time, he couldn't stay, but he was relieved to see the coppers staying around to "protect" me and the other woman on the platform. We also had the pleasure of waiting with teens, who were borderline wannabe  thugs (insert a sarcastic "Splendid!" here).

It was rather windy and rain was in the air.

The two coppers talked with the unruly passenger, who turned out to be a(n ex-)druggie with highs and lows.

Two women... One unstable bloke in his late thirties and five strange teens... The two coppers got bored waiting and left about ten minutes before the train arrived. They left without ever saying a single word to any of us and this is pretty usual. Usual, but infuriating (the last time I called my police station's direct line, no one answered).

I'm fed up with the situation and a myriad of other unpleasant feelings (I wanted to be a copper when I was a wee gal). Insecurity is becoming "normal" and it angers me. I'm in a capital city, not a village with no coppers around, but the last times I interacted with coppers were frustrating: during a demonstration one prevented me from going home by my usual route and I had to detour (just because he had the authority to bully me as the actual demonstration was three blocks away and heading away from my position) and during the "ronacircus", one tried (operative word) to frighten me by telling me that I might be fined when I reached my destination (I was going to see Mother, who needed to go to the hospital) as I didn't have "enough" documentation to go with my Ausweiss/Gesundheitspass - I could see the glee in his eyes as he wanted to frighten me... for fun.

Insecurity isn't new, but there's something fishy brewing and I don't like it.

No comments: