Monday 3 June 2024

Bullying security?


Online security is a very good thing. Of course.

I'm regularly consulting websites that momentarily stop my connection with Cloudflare or some Captcha, but I can eventually connect to the website I want to consult.

Okay... my computer is old. It is. But it works, and I'm not in the mood to toss it in the bin just because the Microsoft IT boys have come up with a new OS (10 and 11 suck, by the way - sorry, but no longer being able to get rid of auto-arrange with the tiny hack that was found by accident is either a stupid mistake or plain sadism).

A few days ago, I wanted to buy a ticket to go to the Louvre. I went to ticketlouvre.fr as usual, and then I got an "Error 15" from Imperva. 'Perhaps it's a glitch,' I thought; I tried again the next day - same issue.

So I sent an SOS to the Louvre. All my browsers are updated and the weird part is that I can't even go through with Tor.

So, what's the logical conclusion? My OS is the issue.

Is the Louvre going to do something? Is Imperva going to do something, like whitelisting my IP? I don't know.

I'm not the only one with an old OS, and if patrons can't buy tickets because they've got old computers, it's a pity.

If I were the one paying Imperva (probably a lot, by the way), I wouldn't be happy to read that some customers are prevented from giving me money... but that's me.

Perhaps old OS owners aren't important enough.

I'm really not a happy bunny (and this circus made me appreciate Cloudflare and Captcha a lot more). Sorry about the growl.

No comments: